From: "Avi Snyder" <a...@npg.wustl.edu>
To: "Sita Kakunoori" <s...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>, fel...@cbs.mpg.de, "Avi
Snyder" <a...@npg.wustl.edu>
Cc: "Bruce Fischl" <fis...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:03:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer]  Talairach transformation

Hi Sita,

Wrong-stretch (e.g., too fat or too thin) MP-RAGE atlas transforms are
expected if the contrast properties of the sample image are far from those
of the target. This condition can easily occur if the target is based on
1.5T data and the sample is acquired at 3T. (3T but not 1.5T T1W images
tend to be relatively bright in the center of the head.) Gd++ contrasted
MP-RAGE scans routinely do not produce decent atlas transforms unless
special measures are taken. A FreeSurfer fix for this problem is
theoretically feasible.

Avi