Hi Jeff,

I am not sure about which atlas, but concerning the transforms:

4.2 and earlier: talairach_with_skull.lta
later versions: talairach.xfm

I am pretty convinced that the way to check as described here
http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/eTIV

cd $SUBJECTS_DIR/subject/mri/transforms
tkregister2 --xfm talairach.xfm \
  --targ $FREESURFER_HOME/average/RB_all_withskull_2008-03-26.gca \
  --mov ../nu_noneck.mgz --reg junk

is correct in newer FS versions, but maybe double check with Nick.

Best, Martin