Hi Bryon - It does look like this individual and the tract atlas are not in good alignment. The one step that requires good alignment is for choosing an initial guess for the pathway. If the fmajor from all or most of the subjects that are included in the tract atlas goes through the ventriclesi of your subject, it'll be tough to get a good initialization so reconstruction will fail.

You can try the reinit option but in this case you'd have to try it many times since pretty much all the atlas samples go through your subject's ventricles.

The last resort for such a subject is to initialize it manually. If you upload this example subject for me here I can try to see what can be done:
        https://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/facility/filedrop/index.html

In principle, once the initialization is ok, the actual path reconstruction should work even with poor spatial alignment, since it only uses information on the neighboring aparc+aseg structures and not on the spatial location of the path. This'll be a chance to test this hypothesis!

Hope this helps,
a.y