Hi all, probably mostly Bruce and co.,

I've just got a new linux box set up and am able to run all graphical tools and
recon-all OK.

Linux Mint 15 x64 RC (based on Ubuntu 13)
Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
nVidia GTX 650 Ti
nVidia drivers: Selected from System > Device Drivers; nvidia-313-updates;
automatically installed.

Freesurfer 5.3 Centos 6 version

Now I'm hoping to get CUDA working.

The proximate problem is that when I run Freesurfer's cudadetect I get:

"error while loading shared libraries: libcudart.so.5: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory"

Indeed, searching the file system, there appears to be no libcudart.* anywhere.
But there do appear to be CUDA components installed with the installation of
the nvidia video driver:

/usr/lib/nvidia-313-updates/libcuda.so   10.4 MB
(plus some version-named links to same)

So, my current model is that nvidia has installed what it considers to be the
necessary components for an application to use to operate the CUDA hardware.

Googling around, there seem to be some mentions that libcudart.so.* is
something that would be supplied with a particular application (in this case
Freesurfer). I'm not sure I believe that, but...

The only other alternative I see is to download the nvidia CUDA developer kit
and install that. However I'm very loath to do that because it replaces the
video driver along with installing a lot of other unneeded apparatus. I have no
idea the extent to which that installation works with or against the
Ubuntu/Mint installation scheme, and what would happen on next video driver
update. Not to mention that the latest Ubuntu-compatible package nvidia has is
for 11.10, while my Mint is based on Ubuntu 13.

Any idea how to proceed? Any chance of getting libcudart.so.5 a la carte?

SIDE NOTE ON 64-bit detection in cuda_setup
I see that in script cuda_setup there's a section which detects 64-bit by
looking for directory: /usr/lib64

However, on Mint (so I assume Ubuntu and Debian) 64-bit, there is no such
directory. Instead, there are:

/usr/lib
/usr/lib32

Suggestions for other ways to detect 64-bit:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/246007/how-to-determine-whether-a-given-linux-is-32-bit-or-64-bit

I'm pretty sure this is not pertinent to the hunt for missing libcudart.so, but
seems like that needs to be fixed too for Ubuntu/Mint.

Thanks,

-- Graham