Dear, Zoe
Usually after Freesurfer fresh install you will get a SUBJECTS_DIR with
several directories, including Bert. The script you used will scan all
directories under SUBJECTS_DIR and if it finds any directory without the
posterior*.mgz files it will fail. You can check if this is the problem
running one side from one patient like this:

cd $SUBJECTS_DIR/yoursubject/mri

kvlQuantifyPosteriorProbabilityImages
$FREESURFER_HOME/data/GEMS/compressionLookupTable.txt posterior_right_*
posterior_Right-Hippocampus.mgz

This will show the volume in voxels for each subfield. If it works, you
can try some alternatives:
1- Set your $SUBJECTS_DIR variable as another another path and move your
subjects directories (and only these directories to this place) and run
the same script you tried
(kvlQuantifyHippocampalSubfieldSegmentations.sh)
2- Make a little BASH script to process just your subjects. It requires
you keep your subjects in directories named following a rule you can use
make an iterative loop in your script. I use subject1, subject2 but you
can adapt to your needs. Something like the CalcHippoVol I attached.
Before using do any adaptation you may need and make it executable (for
example, with a chmod +x CalcHippoVol). Then just run from command
prompt from within the directory you saved the attachment typing:

./CalcHippoVol

This way, if all works you will get 2 files, LeftVol and a RightVol,
inside each of your subject/mri directory with the volumes you want.
Notice that:
1- the volumes are in voxels and, despite your original voxel volume,
the hippo-subfields processed by Freesurfer will be 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 mm.
So vol(mm3)=vol(voxels)/8.
2- it is difficult to determine the precise limits of each subfield in
the extreme end of the tail of the hippocampus, so the recon-all
-hippo-subfield processing pipeline group all remaining voxels in the
posterior_Left-Hippocampus.mgz for left hippocampus and
posterior_Right-Hippocampus.mgz for right one. So these last files does
not represent the whole hippocampi as the name could suggest. Check
details at Automated Segmentation of Hippocampal Subfields from
Ultra-High Resolution In Vivo MRI.
Hi, Eugenio.
I would like to suggest a different name for this file. What do you
think about something like posterior_left_tail_complement.mgz and
posterior_right_tail_complement.mgz.
Cheers,
Marcos