Just to follow-up, the sd command is an alias for setting the SUBJECTS_DIR environmental variable to the present working directory.

Mihaela was able to get rid of the "Bad fd number" error by running the following commands on her ubuntu workstation. It seems like this error is not freesurfer-specific, and relates to recent versions of ubuntu. See links for details.

sudo mv /bin/sh /bin/sh.bkp
sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh

http://www.mail-archive.com/freesurfer%40nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg08333.html
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh