Hi Doug,

> 3) In a group X gender X age DODS design, exactly which contrast
> > (interaction) has to be examined in order to see if the analysis
> > proceeds as DODS or as DOSS? And what would the course of action be
> > assuming there are significant clusters for that contrast?
>
> group X gender X age, group X age, gender X age
>
> I've had statisticians tell me that you cannot do anything more if there
> is a sig interaction. However, this kind of thing gets published all the
> time without people even checking. If you wanted to push ahead, you have
> to choose an age where you want to do the test (eg, age=0 which would be
> the default or age=mean age). But you have to be aware that a sig effect
> found betweeen groups will depend on the age that you test it.

Would it not be possible to decompose such a significant interaction (e.g.
group X gender X age) the same way one would decompose any ANOVA
interaction, i.e. by doing a post-hoc contrast to directly compare the
means corresponding to the levels of the factor of interest (e.g. group A
vs group B collapsing across genders) while deciding on an acceptable value
for the factors of non-interest, as you suggest for Age?

Since such post-hoc comparisons cannot be done directly in QDEC, would it
make sense to instead decompose the interaction by manually repeating the
analysis with only the relevant factors/levels left in the design?

Tudor