i've tried reinstalling xquartz (this is on a mac by the way) and now I'm
getting this error when trying to run tkmedit, any ideas would be hugely
appreciated!

Thanks,
Hugh

Couldn't create output file .xdebug_tkmeditGLUT: Fatal Error in
tkmedit.bin: could not open display:
/tmp/launch-ivIjwf/org.macosforge.xquartz:0