Dear Freesurfer team,

I now see that the fsaverage folder in each subject folder is just a shortcut
to the freesurfer folder: 'freesurfer/freesurfer.5.3.0/subjects/fsaverage'.

I have more questions regarding the fsaverage and creating a new label. Is it
correctly understood that fsaverage is an average of all my subjects (that i
create using the command -qcache when running recon-all)? Is the fsaverage file
updated when making manual corrections to the pial and white matter surface
when running recon-all without the -qcache function?

Another thought is: Is it possible to create a "average subject" using
make_average_subject -> create a label in tksurfer using this "average subject"
(i'm investigating dorsal premotor cortex and the handknob area) -> and
implement this label to all my subjects using mri_label2label -> and at last
correct this label manually in each subject individually (if needed)?

Is this the correct way to approach my issue? Or would you rather recommend me
to change an existing label?

Group analysis guide: 'When you have run recon-all with the -qcache option,
recon-all will resample data onto the average subject (fsaverage)'
Bruce Fischl: 'sure, there are tools for drawing ROIs/labels on the surface in
tksurfer.
You can create a label on fsaverage or an individual subject, then use
mri_label2label to map it to other subjects if you like'A last question is;
after I've made my label and implemented it to all my subjects i would like to
investigate cortical thickness of this particular part of the brain by a group
analysis using freesurfer tools. Do you have an thorough guide to the steps in
this analysis (in addition to this guide
http://freesurfer.net/fswiki/FsTutorial/GroupAnalysis)?

Thank you for all your help,
Best, Silas