From: "Carl Pintzka" <carl.pint...@ntnu.no>
To: "Freesurfer support list" <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:50:23 PM
Subject: [Freesurfer] Scanner parameters for hippocampal subfield segmentation
in Freesurfer 6.0

Hi,

We are currently planning a population based MRI study and are interested in
including a T2w scan that allows us to perform the new automatic hippocampal
subfield segmentation included in Freesurfer 6.0.

The current scanner settings (which has been used in a previous study) are as
follows:

3T Siemens Skyra

T2w turbo spin echo

TR: 67 60, TE: 84

In plane resolution: 0.57x0.57mm

Slice thickness: 1mm, no gap

NAX: 3

In the Iglesias 2015 paper, 0.4x0.4 in plane resolution with 2mm slice
thickness is used. Is this preferable since we intend on using the subfield
segmentation on our dataset, or is it ok with 0.57x0.57 in plane resolution and
thinner slices? We are not planning on performing manual segmentation on the
dataset and thus want the settings to be optimal for the Freesurfer
segmentation.

What about number of averages?

Best regards,

Carl Pintzka