Dear Doug/FreeSurfers,

We are looking at effects of age-squared on cortical thickness in two different
groups.  We are interested in age-squared by group interactions on cortical
thickness across the surface.  Nuisance covariates include age, sex, scanner,
and total brain volume.

The sig map for the interaction shows numerous highly significant regions. When
we extract cortical thickness from individual subjects for these regions, and
then plot the relationship between age-squared and cortical thickness (after
adjusting for the covariates) in group 1 versus group 2, the interaction is
very clear.

However, using linear regression in SPSS, we are not able to reproduce these
results.  I suspect we are not using the same model in SPSS that FreeSurfer is
using to do the interaction analysis.

This is how our fsgd file looks like:

GroupDescriptorFile 1
Title GroupAgesqInteraction
Class Group1
Class Group2
Variables Agesq Age Gender Scanner TBV

Input    3662291        Group1    0.607    0.654    -1.061    1.041    0.706
Input    3665043        Group1    1.294    1.237    -1.061    1.041    -0.747
.
.

This is the contrast we used:

[0 0 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0]

What would be the translation of this contrast to a linear model, where we are
interested in the age -squared by group interaction on cortical thickness after
controlling for the four nuisance covariates?

Thanks very much!

Hamdi and Josh