Hi Tony

typically you don't measure distortion by total displacement as if you rotate the sphere the displacement would be large but you would not incur any distortion.

There are a bunch of measures that try to summarize distortion, but basically there is areal and angular distortion that can be combined in different summary measures. Areal you can measure by first normalizing the two surfaces to have the same total area (not needed in the sphere comparison, but if you want to compare to e.g. white you would need to), then look at the ratio of the area of each triangle. Angular you can compare directly. There are other measures like harmonic energy you can also look at.