I tried that and I got an error in the Mask function that excludes the
inter-hemispheric cut in matlab.

It doesn’t like the lh/rh.pial surfaces of the fsaverage.

This is the code:

0001 function mask = SurfStatMaskCut( surf );

0002

0003 %Mask that excludes the inter-hemisphere cut.

0004 %

0005 % Usage: mask = SurfStatMaskCut( surf );

0006 %

0007 % surf.coord   = 3 x v matrix of surface coordinates, v=#vertices.

0008 %

0009 % mask         = 1 x v vector, 1=inside, 0=outside, v=#vertices.

0010 %

0011 % It looks in -50<y<50 and -20<z<40, and mask vertices where |x|>thresh,

0012 % where thresh = 1.5 x arg max of a histogram of |x|.

0013

0014 f=(abs(surf.coord(2,:))<50 ...

0015     & abs(surf.coord(3,:)-10)<30 ...

0016     & abs(surf.coord(1,:))<3);

0017 b=(0:0.02:3);

0018 h=hist(abs(surf.coord(1,f)),b);

0019 t=b(find(h==max(h)))*1.5;

0020 mask=~(abs(surf.coord(1,:))<t & f); %%% <---This is where the error occurs
%%%

0021

0022 return

0023 end

On 1/9/18, 6:41 PM, "freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu on behalf of
Douglas N Greve" <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu on behalf of
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:

    You can map it onto fsaverage, which is made only from 40 subjects, so

    there is a little more folding

    On 01/09/2018 06:27 PM, Duran, Tugce wrote:

    > Total N is 159. I have min # of 52 subjects for certain analyses. I used
avgsubj. lh/rh.pial and lh/rh.thickness.10.mgh for reading surface and
thickness data.

gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:

    >      This is not entirely unexpected as the volume-based average of pial

    >      surfaces will lose folds as you add subjects. How many subjects do
you

    >      have? Note that this is only a visualization issue if all your

    >      underlying analysis is done on the surface.

    >      On 01/08/2018 01:14 PM, Duran, Tugce wrote:

    >      >

    >      > Hi FS experts,

    >      >

    >      > I’m running SurfStat on my freesurfer skullstriped data (recon-all

    >      > with –noskullstrip flag) and getting pecan shaped brain images as

    >      > shown in the attached file.

    >      >

    >      > Do you know what freesurfer process (make_average_subject or glm or

    >      > other)  is causing this issue?

    >      >

    >      > Thanks!

    >      >

    >      > *Tugce Duran, B.S.*

    >      >

    >      > /Research Technologist II/

    >      >

    >      > cid:image001.png@01D3861A.789F16C0

    >      > <https://medicine.iu.edu/departments/neurology/research/>

    >      >

    >      > Indiana Alzheimer Disease Center (iADC)

    >      >

    >      > Office: 317-278-7015

    >      >

    >      > dur...@iupui.edu <mailto:dur...@iupui.edu>

    >      >

    >      >

    >      >

    >      > Freesurfer mailing list

    >      > Freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu

    >      --

    >      Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.

    >      MGH-NMR Center

    >      gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu

    >      Phone Number: 617-724-2358

    >      Fax: 617-726-7422

    >      Bugs: surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BugReporting

    >      FileDrop: https://gate.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/filedrop2

    >      www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/facility/filedrop/index.html

    >      Outgoing:
ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/transfer/outgoing/flat/greve/

    >      The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to
whom it is

    >      addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and
the e-mail

    >      contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance
HelpLine at

    >      http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to
you in error

    >      but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender
and properly

    >      dispose of the e-mail.

    Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.

    MGH-NMR Center