Hi guys,

The problem was garbage in - garbage out:

1. The issue manifested in the skull stripping step but was caused by bad
input
2. I am a data science guy (not neurology), new to freesurfer, and followed
the instructions at
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FreeSurferBeginnersGuide

recon-all \
  -i  <one slice in the anatomical dicom series> \

3. When I issued recon-all, I gave it a -i of an image file from my mri
data. I assumed that it would find the T1- weighted data from my collection
automatically as in dcmunpack.

4. It seems that the -i requires specifically the T1-weighted data, because
when I looked at the tkmedit brainmask images they were inverted (maybe
from T2 or something else).

5. I re-ran the recon-all on the proper T1 data and it ran to completion
with no errors.

I received several offline requests from other users, so it seems like this
may be a common mistake.

I recommend making the requirement for input of T1-weighted data more
explicit in the wiki page.

As a feature request, it seems pretty easy to use dcmunpack to find the
correct data from a collection and make it part of initial recon-all.

I had uploaded my original data to the ftp site per reply below, but feel
free to delete and close the issue as solved.

Cheers,

-Matt

Hi Matt

no idea what that would happen. If you upload the dataset we will take a
look