It appears that FreeSurfer is not compatible with systems for which
FIPS level security is mandated.  In our case, I am told this is part
of our data use agreement with the VA.

We tried to run it, and I get the following stack trace showing what
appears to be license validation using the crypt() function, which is
blacklisted by the Linux kernel by the FIPS configuration.

28063 open("/opt/apps/freesurfer-6.0/freesurfer/license.txt", O_RDONLY) = 3
28063 fstat(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=59, ...}) = 0
28063 mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7fa319883000
28063 read(3, "issc-sysad...@umich.edu\n23098\n*C"..., 4096) = 59
28063 read(3, "", 4096)                 = 0
28063 open("/proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled", O_RDONLY) = 4
28063 read(4, "1\n", 31)                = 2
28063 close(4)                          = 0
28063 write(1, "ERROR: crypt() returned null wit"..., 46) = 46
28063 exit_group(1)

Is there a workaround so we can run FreeSurfer FIPS-enabled systems?

Appreciate your consideration of this question,

-- bennet