Just to add on to this: you should use freeview, which runs smoothly on
Catalina, for visualizing registration quality
Andrew

From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of fsbuild
<fsbu...@contbay.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:32 PM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Cc: philipp.bar...@uni-konstanz.de
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Error Bad CPU

        External Email - Use Caution

Hello Phillip,

If you run the following command on that file - which is from the 6.0.0
freesurfer release,

$ file /Applications/freesurfer/tktools/tkregister2.bin

I think you will see that it reports it is a i386 binary - which is 32 bit -
and cannot run on Catalina.  That is also why you get bad CPU type,

% file tkregister2.bin
tkregister2.bin: Mach-O executable i386

% ./tkregister2.bin
./tkregister2.bin: Bad CPU type in executable.

The last version of MacOS that can run 32 bit binaries is 10.14, Mojave, but
with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) none of the old 32 bit binaries will run.   So if
you need to be compatible with running the 6.0.0 freesurfer release, then I
suggest you look into reverting back to the previous version of the OS you were
running before the upgrade, i.e., hopefully you made a backup before upgrading.
 Or if you have 10.13 (High Sierra), 10.12 (Sierra), or older, etc., that would
work as well.

- R.

On Jan 30, 2020, at 10:50, Philipp Barzyk <philipp.bar...@uni-konstanz.de>