From: fsbu...@contbay.com <fsbu...@contbay.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:57 AM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Cc: ts...@rcmd.org <ts...@rcmd.org>; TRISTAN J PAUTSCH <tpaut...@wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] on Ubuntu (was FreeSurfer V 7.0 on Centos 8)

We would also like to know about any issues you are seeing on Ubuntu.

I think Ubuntu eliminated some jpeg/png packages from their repos.  Those can
be downloaded and installed manually,e.g.,
libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb, libjpeg62_6b2-3_amd64.deb.  That is
part of the reason we made an Ubuntu 18 VM available with everything
pre-installed.

The VM is essentially what has been used for the freesurfer course which runs
mostly freeview commands with some mri* commands (though I believe a recon-all
also works).  The VM is running binaries built on CentOS7 - as the reference
platforms for freesurfer dev are currently CentOS and MacOS.  We are looking at
making a .deb installer for freesurfer on Ubuntu though.

There is some info on the wiki about packages required to compile the source on
Ubuntu - but you don’t need all of these to run (even the CentOS) binaries.

https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BuildRequirements<https://surfer..nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BuildRequirements>

- R.