External Email - Use Caution

Hi. team!

Recently,  I submitted a paper dealing with volumes of hippocampus and its
subfields in epilepsy patients who have significantly reduced  hippocampal
volume (compared with normal controls) and, in that paper, I used the
normalization method using ICV, which was suggested by Jack CR in 1989:
normalized volume = volume (observed) – b (ICV – mean ICV), where b is the
slope of regression for each ICV.

But, one of the reviewers pointed out that I should use the method based on
each patient's hippocampus rather than total intracranial volume. Since I've
seen that a lot of papers, which dealt about these kinds of issues about
hippocampus and subfields, used the same method with me, I am really doubtful
that it is more appropriate if I should use the method using individual volume
of hippocampus (rather than ICV) in order to normalize its volumes of
substructures in the comparison analysis with those of controls.

# And, whether this is true or not, could you please recommend to me several
literatures that can show which method of normalizing volumes of the
hippocampus and its subfields is more appropriate for this kind of issue?

# Really sorry for bothering you. Thank you always for your kind and delicate
solutions ! : )