External Email - Use Caution

Hi, everyone,

I'm developing a package that reads in files generated by FreeSurfer in
some situations. The code was initially designed to publish in GPL-3.
However, I noticed in your license agreement incompatible with this
license. After reading some previous emails from this mailing list, I
understand the reason why GPL license is discouraged. However, some of the
dependencies of my package require a GPL-3 license and I couldn't get
around with it.

My question is: Can I publish my code under GPL-3 license but with
exceptions that explicitly specify some data being processed are under
FreeSurfer license?

There have been several emails talking about this issue, but I still want
to check and confirm the compatibility and/or possibility of GPL+exception.
I'd appreciate it if you could provide some recommendations or requirements.

The files that might be imported are:

   - $SUBJ/mri/*.mgz
   - $SUBJ/mri/transforms/*
   - $SUBJ/surf/*
   - $FREESURFER_HOM/FreeSurferColorLUT.txt

Best.

- Zhengjia Wang
*PhD Student at Department of Statistics*
*Rice University, Houston, TX, USA, 77005*