The problem here is that the white surface is not extending far enough because the white matter is underlabeled. I know it seems intuitive to edit the aseg to influence the the surface placement, it actually will have very little effect. In this case, you should edit the wm.mgz to fill in the WM in that area then run recon-all -s subject -autorecon2-wm -autorecon3