From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> On Behalf Of Sarah Lavelle
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 5:30 AM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: [Freesurfer] help

        External Email - Use Caution
Dear freesurfer,

Are there any additional resources on how to make cuts? I have found this
MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "secure-web.cisco.com"
claiming to be
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/recon-all#Flattening<https://secure-web.cisco.com/18_liDyv7h8S0t-GuSrqbS0mexl0ornQBxqLR6v5JlLJUxICtX_m72JgFOKgqmcmDmNUv_rPvux5Bj3HvJdGS1wmDMB49Af-BJx9Q5hozmhhuUcgnG8xeUpfoO4g2LSz1OdFi_9on9h5ngyGR9FDKKAgMIOCzYJezDsIESZYkKSRdPHkAWMlYTYYAHYx4iD-JqVc30z2DimXPHyrLEyGpNChw8D4PkkLoasWz2jf7w4Pefp9yJvvDnZx-gyl0BhCk8ul3x-2cGVK0SVa-LKxKQHzToFKqsURPjIXBXX2NOr8s_VgCRqHl8WzMW3bCwJiearZFL1Avboe-CZ8CLgZe_w/https%3A%2F%2Fsurfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu%2Ffswiki%2Frecon-all%23Flattening>
 but it isn't enough for the project I am doing. I want to flatten the whole
surface but I may need to change where I am cutting from patient to patient.
How do you know how big the hole should be? and how many relaxation cuts should
you make? How long should they be? If you have any more guidance on how to cut
to minimise distortion, please let me know!

Also when I perform the mris_flatten function using my patch, my terminal gives
me a % near the end saying "41% total metric distortion". Can you confirm that
this value is the total metric distortion from an inflated surface to a flatmap
surface using my chosen patch?

Many thanks,
Sarah Lavelle
Trinity College Dublin