From: <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of Michael Mc Laughlin
<mich...@thecurate.com>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2023 at 3:14 AM
To: Freesurfer support list <Freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Huge difference between volumes for Freesurfer vs
CAT12

        External Email - Use Caution
  I have used both CAT12 and Freesurfer to segment a particular brain scan and
I get completely different volumes.

                              CAT12   Freesurfer 7.3.2
Left Cerebral WM(cc):           209        242
Left Cerebral Cortex (cc)       444        269
Left Lateral Ventricle (cc):     28         43
Right Cerebral WM (cc):         208        242
Right Cerebral Cortex (cc):     440        270
Right Lateral Ventricle (cc):    20         28
Total                          1350       1095

Total brain volume (cc):       1618       1309
Total Intercranial Volume       N/A       1852

What could be causing this difference?

The brain scan was done with MPRAGE protocol with 176x256x256 voxels of size
1mmx0.976mmx0.976mm

Which one is correct?

The scan is of a normal adult male aged 62 with chronic migraine.

Resent a second time because table did not work well in either of previous
attempts

On Fri, Jun 9, 2023 at 9:00 AM Michael Mc Laughlin
I have used both CAT12 and Freesurfer to segment a particular brain scan and I
get completely different volumes.

CAT12 (cc)
Freesurfer 7.3.2 (cc)
Left Cerebral WM(cc):
209
242
Left Cerebral Cortex (cc):
444
269
Left Lateral Ventricle (cc):
28
43
Right Cerebral WM (cc):
208
242
Right Cerebral Cortex (cc):
440
270
Right Lateral Ventricle (cc):
20
28
Total
1350
1095
Total volume (cc):
1618.09
1309
1852
What could be causing this difference?

The brain scan was done with MPRAGE protocol with 176x256x256 voxels of size
1mmx0.976mmx0.976mm

Which one is correct?

The scan is of a normal adult male aged 62 with chronic migraine.

Resent because table did not work well

Michael McLaughlin,

On Fri, Jun 9, 2023 at 8:19 AM Michael Mc Laughlin