>> Am I correct in presuming that Freeswitch will answer a fax from a local zap
>> based user
>> just like it does from an FXO port connected to a POTS line? What I hope to
>> do here is
>> catch any call made from that extension (the zap based fax machine/user) and
>> push its
>> call into the fax module.
>
> Yes, when a device (phone/fax/modem/whatever) is plugged into the FXS it gets
> dialtone
> and dials. Whatever it dials is put into ${destination_number} just like any
> SIP phone that
> dials. This extension looks ok. Try it out and let us know how it goes.
> -MC

Michael,
It worked well, there was however a humorous moment: I was testing with my own
shell script
that simply emailed me directly to my postfix gateway, my exchange server and
mua understood the
uuencoded attachment so once it started working I modified the script to send
to our fax service.

Well they didn't understand uuencode so the attachment, a single page tiff, got
faxed as 23 pages
of binary :) I used mutt with a redirection to a specific muttrc which
understands mime encoding
which should work everywhere...

Thanks for the help, you've made an office full of people happy...
jlc