Hi Glen, I would not worry to much:

- Maybe gcc 5.4 vs 4.9: difference is ~-20% (depending from which end
you are looking).  It is a lot but not unexplainable.

- Maybe it is my test data. I don't know how much jitter in the kiss_fft
algorithm is, when different data is presented. I am running
"artificially" generated audio input (digitally captured codec2 frames
from a single 750Hz sine way also generated digitally).-

- Maybe it is my strange way of running the mcHF firmware: the mcHF
Hardware has a 16Mhz XO,  but the discovery board which I have here for
testing has a 8Mhz XO. I didn't bother to reconfigure the PLL. So
everything takes twice the time. If the flash would asynchronously
coupled, which I doubt (otherwise no need for explicit wait state
settings),  it would have an influence.  But here I am quite sure, this
is not the case. If the caches are asynchronous: Maybe. Maybe I should
remeasure with fixed PLL setup so that the processor runs at true
168Mhz. Will do that later and get back with updated numbers.

Danilo