I don't think we want to publicly export the FT_Driver internals at all.
doing so would require just too much work
for so little benefits. on the other hand, we can foresee the definition of
a public FT_UserFontDriver structure
that could be filled up by client libraries and apps to implement some level
of user-level font support.

this structure would be much simpler than FT_Driver and only expose a
minimal number of features.
we need to find a good balance between what most user-font providers need
and what we can support..
if you want a full blown font driver; it should be part of FreeType, or you
should deal with the changes in
internals, period.

which is why I was asking Ian what kind of "features" he wants to see
supported.
"exposing the internal font driver" is a no-go, but something like
"overriding the shapes of certain characters" could make it.

so again, what are you using this custom font driver for precisely ?