Hi Vern

> e.g. when the gap between dot and stem in 'i' gets blocked, it's bad font
> design and can easilly be corrected ;) .

** Maybe because the latin module of TTFAH treats "i" (and "j") using the blue
zone of small letter like"f" (fijbdkhl), when the
design choice (not bad design !) not have the top of the dot in the blue zone,
but for example, between this bluezone and the top of the i.
I don't know if possible to assimilate in TTFautohint "i" and "j" like glyph
accentued (eacute etc.). Notice that is also true for other latin glyphs
using dot (edot, gdot...)
If you would like to test this try IkariusADF and BaskerwaldADF, But you need
to convert them, OTF to TTF before.

Regards
Hirwen