Hi,

 Just confirming that the latest version of FreeType (from GIT) has
resolved this problem, as does Suzuki's patch. I greatly appreciate both of
your inputs :)

 Thank you for the insight into the OpenType format.

 There is still an outstanding issue and another big handful of PDFs to do
regression testing on. I am doing my best to extract it into a test case,
more debugging will show if the problem lies with Poppler or Freetype.