Hello Werner,
while testing the fantastic new engine, I found that much prefer to turn off stem darkening, because it really makes CFF fonts stand out compared to (autohinted) Truetype fonts... It's jarring to switch between websites and alternate between fat and thin looking text. I'm thinking that maybe it should either be turned off by default or stem darkening should also be turned on for other font types by default. And maybe made configurable from fontconfig like what the Cleartype tuner on Windows 7/8 does. What do you think?

Regards,
Nikolaus