There are a whole bunch of improvements for the auto-hinter not yet
integrated, but this doesn't affect the TT engine.

Mhm, sounds like a job for me. I'll put it somewhere on my todo list :P

There is a misunderstanding, see above.  `Native' ClearType doesn't do
y-only hinting!  It's simply that advance width modifications are
ignored in Windows at a later stage, namely in the rasterizer.

I'm confused. Is this "native ClearType" actually called "Natural ClearType" or "natural advance widths"? I guess that's something FT already does? What I meant to say is I want the part of ClearType that does Y-only hinting.

ClearType consists of multiple parts. The first one is the
interpretation of the hints, which is complete (more or less).

This, I guess? I don't fully understand the description of the interpreter versions. Does GETINFO == 39 (v2.0) and 40 (v2.1) bring anything to the table that would be relevant to FT?

A quick search didn't turn up any specifications except that one guide for how ClearType tries to be backwards compatible...

The second one consists how the hinted outlines are converted to
raster images. There are big differences between the MS engine and
FreeType, which can't be `fixed' without completely redesigning
FreeType.

Could you provide some specifics? Do you mean how the rasterizer handles anti-aliasing and subpixel-rendering?