> I don't think this (caching flatten outlines) is a good idea.

Honestly, I don't have an opinion on this.

> Pretty much all serious implementations cache the rendered image.
> And pretty much all uses of FreeType don't render the entire glyph
> set.  And must implementations care a lot more about loading
> performance.  I know you are suggesting new API.  I just don't see
> how this is useful, unless I'm misunderstanding it.

The basic question is whether there is a *real* advantage in
comparison to the traditional way of calling FreeType that is so big
that the effort of having another API is worth it.

What use cases do you have in mind?  Where would your suggestion API
really shine?

>> This approach also does not support font hinting (as is the case
>> with fontdue) and I am unsure if/how it could be supported.

Assuming a new API this is not a big issue IMHO.

    Werner