On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Erland Lewin wrote:

> Wan Tat Chee wrote:
>

> >Hmm, most v4l capable installs should also have v4lctl. Wouldn't it be
> >easier to use v4lctl to set frequencies, mute/unmute, etc.? You'll have
> >automatic support for available frequency tables without having to worry
> >about compatibility and maintenance.
> >
> Well, I thought it was cool to have the thing in 100% Python, and not
> rely on other programs (I started writing a Python module in C, but then
> figured out it was possible in Python using the struct.pack functions).
> Also, I don't know if it's possible to do things like setting the
> overlay window from v4lctl.

v4lctl is more of a helper program to setup the TV card
before doing stuff like recording etc. using another program. So no, I
don't think it does overlays.

However, I hope using a python module with your own ioctl defines won't
cause version mismatches in future.

> >e.g., v4lctl volume mute on|off
> >
> Actually, regarding sound, my problem is with the soundcard mixer. I use
> Alsa version 0.9, and the mixer.py stuff just doesn't work at all for
> me. The G400-TV tv audio is connected through an external cable to the
> soundcard, so what you have to do is to enable playback of what's coming
> in on the line in, in my case. Even better would be to record what's
> coming in on line in, and play it back somewhere else, so that it can be
> played back on another sound card.
>   The mixer stuff is going to be tricky to do well - it depends on the
> audio drivers (OSS or ALSA), the sound card and its mixer controls, on
> how the user has set up the audio path etc, etc. We'll need lots of
> configuration options. I wonder if we can do this through pygame?

It gets hairier :) There's TV cards that support audio extraction via the
PCI bus (and not through the soundcard) (using btaudio), etc.

But I thought that once the connections and mixer were setup properly
(wrt. xawtv or mplayer), it's just a matter of muting and unmuting if
you're only interested in viewing TV. Or am I missing something?

> You're welcome to use and modify my source to add v4l2 support. I don't
> think there are v4l2 drivers for the G400-TV, so I don't even have any
> hardware to test with.

Ok. Well, I'm not sure when I'll have time to get around to learning
python AND the v4l2 API, but I'll keep that in mind.

T.C.
----
Wan Tat Chee (Lecturer)
School of Computer Science, Univ. Science Malaysia,
11800 Minden, Penang, Malaysia.          Ofc Ph: +604 653-3888 x 3617
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]            Web: http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan
GPG Key : http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan/tcw_gpg.asc
F'print : FB0F CED7 85A5 ECF9 DEF0  50E8 A550 A0D2 8638 B1EB