On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 12:22:48AM -0300, James Oakley wrote:
> I guess you're talking about the contents of 'channel'. That wasn't a big
> change. 'channel' is a "unique" id that refers to the appropriate channel,
> and it always was. The change made it more unique among grabbers. It was
> never really meant to be used for display purposes. That's what
> channel['display-name'] is for.

We don't use it for display purposes, the channel id was being used
for just that, a unique channel id. The problem is that changing
something like that should come with some warning.

I am indebted to the xmltv for their project, but this was frustrating
to find out.

> Of course, I abused the old content format from tv_grab_na in much the same
> way as you guys did. :-) It didn't take long to fix in my ZODB/IndexedCatalog
> code and it gave me the push to make some improvements at the same time.

Speaking of which, did you update your xmltv module? I'd be happy to
merge in your changes into Freevo, especially if it provides a
tangible benefit to people upgrading xmltv versions.

Freevo uses channel id internally, you shouldn't have to see it at
all. I don't think we use "display_name" though.

> Wait until XMLTV 0.6 is released. That will include some major structural
> changes in both programme and channel.

That ought to be fun :)

> Well, that's because you're not dynamically loading channels from the XMLTV
> file. I've found that the channel list changes fairly often for my provider.

We'll probably need to start doing that going forward. The main
advantage is we get to use "our" names for things. Like xmltv (or
rather, zap2it) calls "Comedy Network" "Channel 44 COMEDC" though I
prefer "Comedy Network" since I really could care less what channel
number it is, but knowing what it means "to me" helps.

It's a small thing, but convenient.

> The format of channel['display-name'] didn't change, not in tv_grab_na at
> least, and it will not change over the lifetime of 0.5.x.

I think you're correct, but the important thing we were using was the
channel id to map listings to channels, each programme has "channel"
in it, but changing that id makes it a little trickier. I'm never sure
what we're supposed to 'index' by if not the channel field.

Aubin