I agree that something like this would be nice; either just an array
in your local_conf, like this:

{
    'tv-start':       os.system()
    or
    'tv-start':       osd.stopdisplay()
    }
etc.

Though we'd probably want to nest it by output type. The command I
run, adjusts the brightness/contrast before playing movies since it
looks better on the G400, while overly bright/high contrast is less
nice for the interface since it's too "in your face"

aubin