On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Dirk Meyer wrote:

> For the installer: if the user doesn't want to compile everything, the
> installer should be able to install eveything needed. I also added a
> gentoo detection to make the installer use the portage tree and not
> the runtime. Aubin: zou could add some Debian stuff. For rpms: if
> noone makes an easy run-me-and-everything-works script for rpm, Redhat
> users should use the runtime. Calling the installer should be the
> prefered way to install Freevo.

The problem with RPM is that it's not the purpose of RPM to be a bootstrap
installer, i.e., install a package which then pulls in other libraries to
complete the installation (the way that freevo install works). Not that it
can't be done technically, but it renders the system package database
inconsistent, and I'm really hesitant on going that route.

The new fedora core has apt-get support. That is probably the best way
forward for RPM packages. However, I still haven't looked into apt-get
support with regards to website configuration issues, besides not having
fedora core 1 installed, so I can't work on that right now.

As I understand it, The freevo-core-suite and freevo-recording-suite would
be the only packages that users would see/install (even that can be merged
to become a single package). apt-get would then go ahead and download all
the dependencies etc. Our problem currently is that the packages are
located in many sites. If there is a centralized repository for ALL freevo
dependencies, this problem would be solved easily.

T.C.
----
Wan Tat Chee (Lecturer)
School of Computer Science, Univ. of Science Malaysia,
11800 USM, Penang, Malaysia.      Rm.625 Ofc Ph: +604 653-3888 x 3617
NRG Lab Admin: +604 659-4757           Rm.601-E Ofc Ph: +604 653-4396
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]            Web: http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan
GPG Key : http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan/tcw_gpg-20030322.asc
F'print : DCF2 B9B2 FA4D 1208 AD59  14CA 9A8F F54D B2C4 63C7