Peter Svensson wrote:
Hi! I've been looking around in some .py files trying to understand how to
use VIDEO_GROUPS and not coming up with much (not knowing python, or having
actually rtfm'ed the devel dox :).

That's ok, the code for this is pretty new and only documented by a few examples in various source files. There is an important feature missing (VideoGroup switching between channels) but when it is complete I will provide some longer term docs on it. It is also not trivial to configure multiple VideoGroups.

I will send a later email on how to configure VIDEO_GROUPS. This part will probably change slightly and I hope that using an xml config file will simplify the user's experience here.

What I would like to do is this;

Suppose I had a friend who had a lot of cable-channles, and a lot of
bandwidth.
This friend uses darwin, realmedia or whichever open source alternative is
out there.

I write a small shell-script or dedicated client, which pipes a certain uri
into a named pipe (?) file thingamajig, which is then slurped up by the
VIDEO_GROUPS seting by pure magic.

So, you would like to assign Freevo channel names to video feeds available on the network? Will each channel have its own uri? Neverless, this is DEFINATELY a feature I want to add but right now there is no 'web tv' type for a VideoGroup. It will be easy to add though, or perhaps not even needed at that level to map a Freevo channel name to a network available video stream.

Is this even remotely possible, or should I stand in the corner for five
minutes?

Integrating network streams as channels is not possible at the moment but look for it by the new year at least.

Having said that, it is currently possible to view network streams through the video area of Freevo. You can do this by using fxd files to tell mplayer what uri to play.

Here is an example from a friend's machine:

freevo:/media/Video/webTV# ls
bvovtv.fxd jctv.fxd jctv2.fxd miracle.fxd nasa.fxd streamtv.fxd tbn.fxd

freevo:/media/Video/webTV# cat nasa.fxd
<freevo>
   <movie title="NASA TV">
      <video mplayer-options="-cache 1024 -playlist">
        <file id="nasa">
          /media/webTV/nasa
        </file>
      </video>
   </movie>
</freevo>

freevo:/media/Video/webTV# cat /media/webTV/nasa
mms://38.201.67.167/HighSpeed

So if you have a webtv directory setup in your Freevo video area that contains some fxd files you will have entries for each, "NASA TV" in this case, and Freevo will play them. Sometimes they mess up and you have to try them twice though.

Using an fxd file in this way is hackish though and I don't think it uses Freevo's mplayer plugin's network play support either. Someone could write a video webtv plugin similar to the webradio one as well. :)

-Rob