>Our first tester :D

Unfortunately, yes ;->

>It uses one of the 3 environment variables to determine your system
>encoding: FREEVO_LOCALE, LANG and LC_ALL. One of them should be set with a
pair: language_code.encoding, in your case >de.UTF-8, since your filename
have utf-8 chars (\xe4 == ä).

>FREEVO_LOCALE=de.UTF-8 freevo
>
>should do.
>
>BTW, before you got weird chars when displaying that filename?

Sorry, that didn't work, i tried "de.UTF-8" and "de_DE.UTF-8", but i still
get the error!
The characters like ä/ö/ü where displayed correctly before (and still now,
except when i select an item with a character like that in it, then =>
crash)

>Yes. It's. Maybe we should default to latin-1 instead of ascii? At least it
will avoid those crashes... but only for         >latin-1 based files...
however people in russia and others will keep with problems...

>BTW, I thought the message was very verbose, but it didn't work for you.
Could you suggest a better message so users can >figure out and set those
environment vars?

>Maybe:
>
>WARNING: Could not determine system encoding! Please set FREEVO_LOCALE,
LANG or LC_ALL to have your system encoding. For >example, Deutsch users
with UTF-8 filenames should do "export FREEVO_LOCALE=de.UTF-8" before
running freevo.

I knew what the message should tell me, but on the one hand i didn't know
where to set it (local_conf.py?) and on the other hand i didn't know which
encoding would be the correct one!

>That's my bad (also :() Dischi will work on this.
>But, why didn't you like the new way? You can still go one screen up/down
using CH+/-.

My remote has a 5-way button, so i mapped everything to this ... And i think
you should let the user switch between the old style and the new, not
force-feed him the new and only give him the option to use the old! Let them
use it the old style, but give the option of switching to the new one

>Gustavo

/jan