Hi,

I hope you won't get me wrong on this one. I'm using both Freevo and mythtv
(first being champion, second having great pvr capabilities). I'm currently
using mythtv only as external live tv app. Mythtv has one backend process
running on main machine and several frontends on other machines. There is
tcp communication between them. Protocol is quite straight, but it is not
yet very well documented.

I've found some work in this area (python script for communication with
mythbackend):

http://www.visi.com/~erl/myth.py

Maybe this will be of some help to someone thinking on using some
interesting parts of mythtv (backend certainly is).

Regards,

Robert.