I'm adding some further observations below:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Wan Tat Chee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm finally trying to get TV recording working on my config.
> Found out that freevo after viewing TV, would set all input volumes to 0
> and mute them. This causes scheduled recordings to fail since the
> zero input levels results in no sound.
>
> I believe that it's better to just Mute the inputs, but leave the levels
> alone as is so that it won't mess up the recordings. This would also avoid
> the workarounds where people manually set the input levels before starting
> recordings.

Hmm. Seems like aumix doesn't allow me to enable MUTE while leaving levels
unchanged. ALSA, on the other hand, does.

> However, it seems that I'm still not getting much audio level when
> recording using the record server vs. executing the mencoder command line
> directly. Somehow the volume when recorded via the record server is
> very low. This doesn't happen if I used the command line (cut-and-paste
> 'ps eax |fgrep mencoder' issue via command line). I had raised the line-in
> level manually before the recording server started recording, and it
> remains at that level throughout the recording in alsamixer.

I've resorted to using Mike Ruelle's RecordingInfo workaround to modify
my line muting / level as part of the VCR_CMD string. However, I'm getting
some python syntax errors when trying to parse my VCR_CMD string:

VCR_FILE_EXTENSION = 'mpeg'

# XXX Please see the mencoder docs for more info about the settings
# XXX below. Some stuff must be changed (adevice), others probably
# XXX should be ("Change"), or could be in some cases ("change?")
VCR_CMD = ('amixer -q set Line %d%%' % VCR_IN_VOLUME +
            ' cap mute; ' +
            CONF.mencoder + ' ' +
            'tv:// ' +                      # New mplayer requires this.
            '-tv driver=%s:input=%d' % (TV_DRIVER, TV_INPUT) +
            ':norm=%s' % CONF.tv +
            ':channel=%(channel)s' +        # Filled in by Freevo
            ':chanlist=%s' % CONF.chanlist +
            ':width=%d:height=%d' % (TV_REC_SIZE[0], TV_REC_SIZE[1]) +
            ':outfmt=%s' % TV_REC_OUTFMT +
            ':device=%s' % TV_DEVICE +
            VCR_AUDIO +                     # set above
            ' -ovc lavc -lavcopts ' +       # Mencoder lavcodec video codec
            'vcodec=mpeg4' +                # lavcodec mpeg-4
            ':vbitrate=1200:' +             # Change lower/higher, bitrate
            'keyint=30 ' +                  # Keyframe every 10 secs, change?
            '-oac mp3lame -lameopts ' +     # Use Lame for MP3 encoding, must be
enabled in mencoder!
            'br=128:cbr:mode=3 ' +          # MP3 const. bitrate, 128 kbit/s
            '-ffourcc divx ' +              # Force 'divx' ident, better compat.
            '-endpos %(seconds)s ' +        # only mencoder uses this so do it here.
            '-o %(filename)s.%s ' % VCR_FILE_EXTENSION +        # Filled in by Freevo
            '; amixer -q set Line 0% nocap mute;')

I get the following error:

Starting record server: done.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/freevo/helpers/recordserver.py",
line 199, in ?
    import config #config must always be the first freeevo module imported
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/freevo/config.py", line 499, in ?
    execfile(overridefile, globals(), locals())
  File "/etc/freevo/local_conf.py", line 821, in ?
    VCR_CMD = ('amixer -q set Line %d%%' % VCR_IN_VOLUME +
TypeError: format requires a mapping

[...]

I've added a few sections in the Freevo Wiki FAQ (#21, #22, modified #23
slightly) relating to tv program recording and audio. Please take a look
to make sure that I'm not propagating any incorrect info.

----
Wan Tat Chee (Lecturer)
School of Computer Science, Univ. of Science Malaysia,
11800 USM, Penang, Malaysia.      Rm.625 Ofc Ph: +604 653-3888 x 3617
NRG Lab Admin: +604 659-4757           Rm.601-E Ofc Ph: +604 653-4396
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]            Web: http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan
GPG Key : http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan/tcw_gpg-20030322.asc
F'print : DCF2 B9B2 FA4D 1208 AD59  14CA 9A8F F54D B2C4 63C7