Hi,

a friend of mine pointed me to a problem with our current header in
each file: because of the CVS log, you see no code when opening the
file. Other people told me they want to know what a file does and
sometimes I wonder who maintains a specific file.

So here is a proposal for a new header (in cvs as example in main.py)

# -*- coding: iso-8859-1 -*-
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# main.py - This is the Freevo main application code
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# $Id: main.py,v 1.146 2004/10/03 16:09:27 dischi Exp $
#
# This file is the python start file for Freevo. It handles the init phase like
# checking the python modules, loading the plugins and starting the main menu.
#
# It also contains the splashscreen and the skin chooser.
#
# First edition: Krister Lagerstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
# Maintainer: Dirk Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
#
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Freevo - A Home Theater PC framework
# Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Krister Lagerstrom, Dirk Meyer, et al.
# Please see the file freevo/Docs/CREDITS for a complete list of authors.
#
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER-
# CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General
# Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
# with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
# 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
#
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# python imports
<a list of all imports not from freevo>

# freevo imports
<imports from file inside the source tree>

<content>

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# $Log: main.py,v $
# Revision 1.146  2004/10/03 16:09:27  dischi
# changes to a new header (proposal)
#
# Revision 1.145  2004/09/28 18:31:06  dischi
# check system auto detect
#
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what changed? First of all the cvs log is at the end of the file. I
don't know about licence stuff, maybe we can move this to the end,
too. Second, all lines have a max of 80 chars to fit every screen.

Now the details: the file starts with it's name and a one line
description. After that the CVS $Id$ and a more detailed description
what this file contains. Maybe even a doc how this file interacts with
others. This part finishes with two names: First edition (who started
this file) and Maintainer (who maintains this file and should be asked
for questions about it). After that the old copyright/credit stuff, I
only added my name after Krister because I maintain Freevo now.

Comments on this? Better ideas?

A day without sun shine is like, you know, night.