Rob Shortt wrote:
> Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> I'm thinking about removing some config variables. The variables I'm
>> thinking of are: LOCALE, OVERLAY_DIR and FREEVO_CACHEDIR.
>> Why? Because I want to make some files in util independ of Freevo so
>> they can be used outside Freevo. Some modules only depend only Freevo
>> because of config with the variables above.
>
> I agree we need some changes here.

Good, because your db also depends on some sort of config for getting
the locale. That sucks.

>> FREEVO_CACHEDIR: Why should the user change that. I suggest the
>> default to be /var/cache/freevo with a fallback to ~/.freevo/cache if
>> the user has no write permissions. The databases should go to
>> /var/lib/freevo with the fallback being ~/.freevo/lib.
>
> I agree to these defaults.  I run Freevo as root and user
> /var/xxx/freevo/ for most things.  I would still like the ability to
> change these locations from the configuration.
[...]
> I think using a link to override this is bad practice.  I think this
> is one config setting we do need.  How about adding a /var/xxx/
> alternative to this one as well?
>
> I think it might be worth using Freevo specific environment variables
> for things like FREEVO_CACHEDIR and OVERLAY_DIR.  That way we don't
> rely on importing another module for them and they are still east to
> get and set.

Environment variables would result in a 3rd way to configure
freevo. Right now we have local_conf.py and freevo.conf. Maybe we can
use the later. The packages need environment variables but the freevo
start script will read freevo.conf and will put some settings in
variables. Maybe we could move more stuff here that most users don't
change:

Right now it would be LOCALE, OVERLAY_DIR, CACHE_DIR, DB_DIR. Besides
that there is still display (maybe has the real OSD_DISPLAY here),
chanlist and tv_norm. Maybe replace the last two with a COUNTRY
setting. By that we could do more cool stuff. But we need help
here. The COUNTRY setting could be germany and we would know some
basic settings like locale, too. Maybe even Germany/Bremen to know
some frequencies. But if we go that way, we need much help from our
users to get good data.

Bad spellers of the world Untie!