On Monday 13 June 2005 19:39, Martijn Voncken wrote:
> > I am not really keen on the built-in freevo player. It does not seem to
> > be designed for a massive jukebox usage. I would like to use something
> > more deeply based on xmms, which would be able to show some stats in the
> > idlebar, show the active playlist... In this context, the content
> > browser (mediainfo.py and stuff) shall only send entries to the current
> > xmms playlist info...
>
> I also think freevo could use a "active-playlist" and option "add this
> file to active-playlist" , but there is no work being done on that
> yet.

IMHO xmms is the wrong backend - why depend on X?  There is a consensus AFAICS
that a better audio player (with "seamless" playback & playlists) would be
nice, and IIRC there was someone willing to work on the integration of the
"music player daemon" http://freshmeat.net/projects/mpd/

An advantage of this would be that Freevo serves merely as (one) frontend, and
that you could simultaniously attach other frontends to the same server (e.g.
external LCD displays, bluetooth-remote control with your mobile phone,
whatever...).

I liked that idea - anybody knows more?  Ah, found the thread, it's "freevo
and mpd", started by Carsten Breuer.  Nicholas Ruddick added:

[quote]"There is a command line client for mpd (Music Player Daemon) called
mpc. Now if a plugin was made for freevo to use mpc, then freevo could
effectively be remote controlled through mpd. The clients for mpd
include a gnome based one (gmpc) a kde based one (kmp), a couple of gtk
ones, two php ones and it links in with "Ampache - a web based streaming
audio server" which I'm toying around with at the moment. There must be
a windows based one somewhere, if not, i'll have a go at coding one."[/quote]

Carsten again: "Im writing currently a windows client for MPD. My main target
is Windows CE, because i want to use a handheld to control the server. But
this also runs on a normal Windows Client.
"The best way would be if freevo acts as an mpd client, so that it
controls the mpd over locahost. With this, you can create a playlist with the
handheld, any modify it on the TV with freevo. I think, taht would be smart."

Nicholas then tried mpd python bindings and found out that mpd brings its own
music database along:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freevo-devel%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg10403.html

Ciao, /  /
     /--/