On 9/25/05, Stephan Kanthak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 24 September 2005 19:38, mike lewis wrote:
> > I can now get freevo to start in this mode (freevo.conf set to
> > 1280x720) by hacking at:
> > /usr/share/freevo/contrib/fbcon/mgafb
> > to include a call to fbset there which is of the resolution I need.
> >
> > Question 1: running a vga cable, is this how I should setup freevo?
> > It does look like freevo thinks MGA is to run the tv-out, as the above
> > script is hardwired to turn on the second head..  So maybe there is a
> > better way for VGA out?
>
> That was also my first solution, but I think it's not the best way
> how to do it as the screen flickers during startup (see below).
>
> > I've found xine to actually run better for my needs than mplayer, as I
> > can do some aspect changing stuff on the fly (i've hacked at xine-ui
> > to enable -a (aspect changing) in vidixfb, let me know if anyone wants
> > me to post a patch).
>
> I managed to get mplayer play at the right aspect ratio by adding
>
>         -aspect 1.27 -fs -vf crop=710:410:5:80
>
> to the command line. I use the mga output driver (/dev/mga_vid) for
> scaling and vsync.
>
> > So, I've now a very happy widescreen user.. Well, happy but not
> > content ;-).  Freevo itself is displaying its screen to low.  There is
> > a black bar at the top of the screen, about 1/3 the amount of the
> > screen.
> >
> > Question 2: Has anybody been confronted by this issue before??
>
> Yes, I have been. My solution was to set
>
>         geometry = 848x480
>
> in /etc/freevo/freevo.conf and use a special skin to use the correct
> aspect ratio in menus. I posted my 16:9 skin on the user list some weeks
> ago. Of course, you have to tweak the mplayer and xine command lines
> slightly, too. However, one problem with this solution is that in case you
> use framebuffer output you have to change the source of libSDL as they have
> a hardcoded list of supported screen resolution in their driver and you'll
> hardly find ANY 16:9 resolution in this table. When using X as output layer
> you should not have any problems with the resolution.

Thanks Stephen, I followed your post.  A key thing for me is to
actually get the video display working brfore worrying about freevo's
aspect.  Since last night I can no longer get 1280x720 working.  For
some reason the pj is displaying all content about 300 pixels to thr
left.

So I tried the fb mode you posted for your display in that last
thread, and had some peculiar results! Just running mlayer & defining
the screen resolution (screenx &screeny??) as freevo would, the ouput
was only about half the screen size (which leads me to believe the pj
was picking the screen resolution as much larger than my mode was set
to...)  What I think is that my new prjector (EPSON DREAMIO TW20) is
*very* specific about the timings etc of the modes it will display.

I have as of this moment giving up trying to display in widescreen
resolutions.  I have found success setting the PJ to "squeeze" mode
using the resolution of 1280x1024, then running xine and changing the
display aspect ratio to "square".

If I understand correctly, I should be able to get the same results in
mplayer with a config file,and setting the display output mode to
"16:9".  Ifind xine easier to hack on though, so my next project is to
find out how to get the same result from xine (hardware the aspect
ratio to square..  fbxine is very limited in CLI options compared to X
mode..).

Now, on to freevo and getting the apect right..  My pixel ratio is
*not* natively widescreen (as above, 1280x1024). The ratio is much
closer to 4:3.  So, when we start enabling widescreen in  2.0, a key
requirement is to a) set the pixel's & b) set the aspect ratio.  That
way, there will be no need for what we are doing now, setting these
options in the respectinve players system config.

Still, I'm really really peeved that I can't get 1280x720 working on
my PJ. Would havemade life much easier Iam sure ;-).

Mick