I tried Alberto's advice and installed as root.  This time it worked fine.

There are quite a few things that don't work quite right though.  (full
screen, multi-file videos, music player, etc).  Is this expected?

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, it's just that from the way
people were talking, I thought that more was working, so I want to make
sure I'm not missing something dumb.

The new things I noticed (fading in+out, the progress bar overlay, etc)
are way cool.

-b

--
Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258