Ben Ford wrote:
> Dirk Meyer wrote:
>>It is on my TODO list, but not very near to the top. I'm working at
>>the university and are about to put Freevo to our research
>>group. Maybe a student can design a language for that and get some
>>credit points for it.
>>
> What sort of IP ownership issues does this bring up?  In my university,
> it's ok if an undergrad works on personal or OSS software for school
> projects, but if a grad student gets involved with something anything,
> the school starts claiming ownership.

Same here. But we use a lot of GPL software in our projects, too bad
the result has to be GPL, too ;-)

But I need to make sure the result is under the GPL or CCL for
images. Don't worry.

> So if I understand this right, the stack is a stack of menu widgets,
> where the main menu is merely the first entry in the stack.  Like this:
>
> stack[0] -> main menu
> stack[1] -> choose VIDEO_ITEM
> stack[2] -> browse top level directory
> stack[3] -> browse second level directory
> . . . and so on.

Yes

> What you are saying is that we'd need to have a list of these stacks,
> one for each page of the tab widget (which would probably correspond to
> each type of item movies, tv, music, etc).  The skin code would have to
> be updated to draw the tabs from the first entry.  (for tab in tabs draw
> tab[0])  The stack code would also need to take this into account.
>
> To retain existing behaviour, a variable could be set to that only the
> first item in the list would be used.  This then brings up the question
> of what the first item in that stack would be?  For the tab interface,
> only the entry for that item type ("Watch a movie") is needed, but for
> the classic Freevo interface, the full main menu is needed.

Maybe we still need something like a main menu for additional plugins
like weather, rss reader and shutdown.

> Maybe instead it should be a list of tuples: [ (name, stack), (name,
> stack), (name, stack) ]  If the first entry name == "Main Menu", then it
> would be rendered in Freevo classic mode using only the first stack and
> if not tabs would be created.
>
> Now back to a more mundane question.  I've almost got the menu buttons
> appearing across the top, but I'm having troubles getting them to orient
> horizontally.  From what I can tell of the skin code, it seems that if
> an image is used for a menu selection, then it's placed into a
> rows+columns layout based on the image sizes, where if the menu is text,
> then it is considered to have a width of max size, so only one column is
> used.

Yes, this is like the listing_area works. Don't use it like that,
define a tab_area or hack some code into listingg area to place it on
the top.

Which reminds me: in a perfect world, no part of freevo would access
stack.menustack directly. But it's not a perfect world. I guess you
also need to define a function to get the current menu and replace all
.menustack[-1] with that function to make sure you get the correct
stack. It's not an easy task but must be done to make it work.

> I'll also need to figure out how to add horizontal scrolling.

That will be tricky. Maybe don't do it. I mean, add 'TV', Video',
'Audio', 'Images', 'Games' and 'Misc' and add all other stuff into
misc.

Veni, Vidi, VISA:
        I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.