On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:38:33PM +0100, Dirk Meyer wrote:

> In the 2.0 Wiki
> http://freevo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/freevo-2.0/Installation
>
> You _must_ install Freevo, you can't run it from the working
> directory. But --prefix helps.

I already used --prefix but it didn't work. The problem was that I was using
python2.3 and from another message I read that python2.4 was mandatory. I
installed with python2.4 and I finally got it installed.

Now I have another problem. I want to install freevo2 in a machine that
already has a working freevo 1.5.4 installation and I don't want to mess it
up. I have read the code and the paths to freevo config directories are
hardcoded in 3 or more modules.

There are lines like this

CONF.vfs_dir = os.path.expanduser('~/.freevo/vfs')

I think it will be better to use .freevo2 and /etc/freevo2 as path for the
config file and don't conflict with freevo1.

The problem is that the paths are hardcoded in some files and I think ugly
to change them. It will be better to have a constant-like that all modules
could use to get the user configuration. Something like:

application = 'freevo'
majorversion = '2'
minorversion = '0'

FREEVO_CONFDIR = application + majorversion
USER_CONFDIR = os.path.expanduser('~/.' + FREEVO_CONFDIR)

CONF.vfs_dir = USER_CONFDIR + '/vfs'