"mike lewis" wrote:
> On 4/30/06, Dirk Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jared Kells wrote:
>> > I am writing to see if anyone knows of any work done on an open source
>> > implementation of Microsoft's MCX protocol.
>>
>> Not that I know of.
>>
>> > For those that don't know Media Center Extenders are network devices
>> > that plug into your TV and extend Windows Media Center Edition over a
>> > network. The idea is that you have your Media Center PC in one room
>> > and you have an extender in all the other rooms in your house that
>> > have a TV.
>>
>> I thought this is what uPnP is for. OK, uPnP sucks, but last time I
>> checked Microsoft was supporting it.
>>
> But is would be great to know that my Xbox 360 or SPS 3 were able to
> stream the media off of a freevo box.

I'm sure both support uPnP

> I don't think this should be shouldered by freevo, as these devices
> should come with media players and are build from the 2 most
> successful GUI designers int he world right?

??? 2 most successful GUI designers int he world ???

And this has nothing to do with GUI. There are some simple uPnP calls
and Freevo can announce the content of the hd to other devices. But if
you only want that and use the GUI of the external box, a simple uPnP
server for Linux is what you want. The problem with uPnP is not in
Freevo yet is that it is bloatware: http over udp (*shiver*), xml,
soap and other stuff to make it very complicated.

> Does anyone know if there are ways to do this though?  Plsy my avi's
> or dvb streams on these next gen devices?

If you only want to play files, check freshmeat for upnp server. But
why do you want a XBOX in you living room? They aren't very silent.

> Are there any good web pages showing the archtecture plans or anything
> along those lines?

http://www.upnp.org/

It's not Area 51 I'm worried about- it's Areas 1 through 50.