Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> True, fair point.  xine can't detect progressive content, it can only
> detect pulldown patterns.  Ideally, xine would be able to take any
> content and detect whether it's progressive, telecined, or interlaced,
> and do the right thing.  I've put this on my TODO.
>
> You can set use_progressive_frame_flag=0 in the plugin, and it should
> deinterlace any media, but unfortunately it won't leave progressive
> content alone.

kaa.beacon has some idea if the content is interlaced or not. This
could be wrong, but it is still an idea. It works for avi and it can
read the progressive flag. If freevo thinks the content is interlaced,
it can tell popcorn to deinterlace. But the user always has a way to
set deinterlace=False on ui level.

>> Yes, but in that case you won't use kaa.popcorn as a generic
>> player. If your filter on client side depend on the used player, it is
>> not very generic.
>
> No, but it might be nice to provide that ability.  I might want to add a
> couple filters when I play back with mplayer that xine doesn't have.
> Maybe I want to add a bit of noise to the video.  (Bad example, as I
> ported the noise filter to xine :)).

So you insert the FOO_FILTER only mplayer has to the generic filter
chain. Xine will ignore it, but we should still support to add stuff
to the generic chain.

>> >         player.insert_video_filter('deinterlace', quality = 'high')
>> >         player.append_video_filter('expand', osd = True, aspect = 4/3.0)
>> >         player.set_video_out_device('xv')
>> >         player.set_audio_out_device('alsa', passthrough = True)
>>
>> That looks better to me. It is very similar to my idea, only that I
>> used
>>
>> | set_property( DEINTERLACE, quality='high' )
>> | set_property( VIDEO_OUT, 'xv', display=display )
>> | set_property( AUDIO_OUT, 'alsa', passthrough = True )
>
> Yeah, I'd prefer to have separate methods for audio/video filters and
> audio/video devices.  Particularly for filters, because filters are
> chained, and you should have the ability to move the filters around.  At
> least at the API level.

OK, so it could be append_filter and stream_append_filter. But what
happens at the next file? Same filter? No filter?

>> The problem with this could be different names for output. E.g. in
>> mplayer I have mga for matrox and vidix working on fb. The x version
>> is xvidix. On xine I don't have mga, vidix is X and the fb version is
>> vidixfb. So we need to define some generic names. Or we can detect
>> which version of vidix based on the display (X/FB). So it could be
>>
>> | set_property( VIDEO_OUT, 'mga,vidix' )
>
> Specifying multiple drivers in decreasing order of preference seems
> sensible to me.  It's easy when there's overlap (xv, x11, directfb, fb),
> but when there's not (dfbmga say), the sane thing for a player to do
> that doesn't recognize or support that driver is to just ignore it.

OK. The question is how to configure a driver. Maybe

| set_video_device('mga,vidix')
| configure_video_device('mga', options='xy', filter='blurr')

>> Some settings also depend on the content. You need different filters
>> for playing NTCS files in the PAL world than the other way around.
>
> Which filters?

You may need to change the deinterlacer. I don't remember right now,
but it works different.

Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....