On Friday 01 December 2006 16:54, Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Is there a way to detect that xine has no mp3 support? Next question:
> can we play an avi? Yes we can if it has ac3 sound, no, we can't if it
> is mp3. Gstreamer with all its plugins is even worse.
The same question came up recently on kde-core-devel. (Concerning
program-to-mimetype-bindings, which must be highly dynamic due to all those
plugin architectures.)

See: "desktop files spec: Plugin based applications and the MimeType key"
which links to "desktop files spec: Plugin based applications and the
MimeType key"
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-September/008556.html
and "proposal request: virtual MIME types unknown in time of installation"
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-November/007544.html

Some mentioned solutions were to let each plugin install .desktop files which
contain the supported mimetypes (if that happens, Freevo/kaa could maybe
exploit that information), or to have programs like gstreamer ship small
binaries which output the supported mimetypes one-per-line.

Either way, it is most difficult for Freevo since we have to deal with various
audio and video streams in different containers.  Thinking about it, I'd say
let the backends deal with that diversity, have a proper default player
(which hopefully supports all formats) and automatically fall back on another
if that player fails for some reason (missing plugin/similar).

The more information kaa.metadata is able to extract, the better educated we
can make that decision, but that would indeed require some database of
supported formats which would best be queryable from the player
installations..

--
Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.