On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 17:48 +0100, Dirk Meyer wrote:
> I wonder why people use kaa.canvas and other kaa modules. I don't mind
> that you do, that is one reason why we created kaa and moved stuff out
> of freevo, but it would be nice to know. Is it something similar to
> Freevo? GPL or closed source? You don't have to answer, it would only
> be nice to know.

I agree it'd be nice to know.  It may also help us in future design
decision knowing what components are used, and what they are being used
for.

> good. But they use kaa.popcorn to do the canvas movie stuff and
> kaa.popcorn is GPL. That doesn't work. We could make kaa.popcorn LGPL,

For popcorn, child.py in the xine backend would have to be GPL, but
everything else can be LGPL.  This is compliant since the child is
spawned as a separate process, but it's a bit confusing. :)

> but maybe we want to use some information from kaa.metadata in the
> future which is GPL. Maybe the best way would be to move the movie
> stuff from canvas/candy to popcorn.

I forget, why does kaa.metadata need to be GPL again?