On 1/22/07, Duncan Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 January, 2007 11:12 pm, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> >
> > Not me, I think it was another Andrew who introduced the button bar
> > plugin and the respective skins.
>
> Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you wrote it. Just wanted to get your
> attention.

Ah, it worked :-)

> > Personally, I'm not too keen on the implementation: duplicating the
> > skins to make some room for the button bar seems sub-optimal. Certainly
> > having them in the menu is.
> >
> > All IMHO of course.
>
> I completely agree, it's not very nice duplicating the skins just for the
> button bar.
>
> What I was hoping, you seem to be a skins expert,

Heh, you rate my opinion higher than I do on the subject, but since I'll
always give an opinion, no matter how ill-thought out or uninformed,
I'll do just that...

> if you, or anybody else, know of a way that the bottom margin could be
> set when a plug-in is running?

Yeah, this'd be my suggestion too: let Freevo invoke it's skin scaling
stuff so that buttonbar forces everything to be scaled to (say) 90% of
their original height and y-positions. That create a gap of around 50
pixels for the buttonbar.

Another option would be for the buttonbar to be a semi-transparent
overlay which only appears after some event, e.g. a timeout of
inactivity or some explicit button press.

> AFAICS the top margin is controlled when the idlebar is running and
> poking around a bit but couldn't see how this was controlled.

Hmm, no idea. You could probably bodge something in src/skins/main/screen.py?

> BTW Took me ages to find out how a sub-menu could be added to an item
> plug-in, as opposed to a main menu plug-in, but got there in the end.

It'd be handy, I think, to document stuff like this in the wiki? Some
of the skins documentation is very vague and already assumes you know
what you're doing...

Cheers,

Andrew

--